Choosing the right Senior Living Community takes significant time. It also demands in-depth research. And most of all, choosing the right Senior Living Community requires a visit. No two communities are the same and you can’t make a decision confidently without touring the property and meeting the staff.
You need the time and space of a visit to an independent living or assisted living community to get your questions answered and learn what additional questions you have. Sometimes, you don’t know what you value about a Senior Living Community until you begin touring and see what you do and do not like.
Further, you learn a lot about a community by how the team interacts with you. Do they ask about you, your loved one, and your family? Do they seem interested in your goals and values for your loved one? Most of all, pay attention to whether the staff honors the significance of this transition. Do they treat you and your loved one with respect – or do they appear to be selling a product?
While staff will be happy to answer your questions on the phone, your visit is the perfect opportunity to discuss the community in detail. Don’t get home and remember a question you had, or a floor plan you wanted to see. To prepare, gather questions and form a checklist like the one outlined below
Senior Living Community Tour Checklist:
- Did you connect with your Tour Guide? What did you like about him or her?
- How were your interactions with other Staff you saw on the tour? Did they acknowledge or connect with you?
- How is the atmosphere in the reception area? Does it feel warm and friendly?
- What kind of training does the staff receive?
- Is there high staff turnover at the community?
- Do the dining areas smell pleasant?
- Do the residents seem to enjoy the food?
- Look at a menu. Do menus change daily, weekly, and monthly?
- Ask if you can sample the dining experience yourself.
- Can they adjust food for dietary restrictions?
Recreation and Activities
- Is there a posted schedule of activities?
- Are there campus activities as well as excursions into the community?
- Would you enjoy these programs and events?
- Are there additional costs for activities?
- How are residents reminded of activities and do they need to register beforehand?
Safety and Security
- Are there concerns about the neighboring community? How do they address these concerns?
- Is the Community locked at a certain time of the night?
- How do residents reach out for help if needed?
- Ask about sprinklers and fire alarms.
- How many units does the Senior Community have?
- What are the floor plan options?
- How do prices vary based on housing selection?
- Are there additional fees for services, utilities, and care? What is included in the monthly fee?
- Does the community offer different levels of care?
- Is the Senior Community pet-friendly?
- Are couples with different care needs able to live together?
- Is there a parking fee? What are other transportation options?
- Are there guest suites for visitors? Can you spend the night in a guest suite to get a first-hand experience of the community?
Stay informed and empowered as you tour Senior Living Communities. Ask questions, look at apartments, get to know the staff, and even try the food! Take the time to make the best decision and move into the future with peace of mind.
We look forward to meeting you at Blakeford to show you all the upscale amenities and details that make our Retirement Community so special! Schedule a tour today!