Music & Memory Volunteer
Supervisor: Communications Specialist
Music & Memory is a program that brings personalized music into the lives of the elderly or infirm through digital music, vastly improving quality of life.
Goal: Volunteers will provide support to the Music & Memory program through resident interaction, playlist development, measuring effectiveness, and maintaining mp3 players and headphones.
Environment: Blakeford at Green Hills provides multiple levels of care and services to its residents, through a continuing care plan, in an attractive surrounding while offering an array of personal services and activities.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Help create residents’ playlists through interviews with residents and family members.
- Maintain a system for storing and distributing players/headphones, maintaining proper hygiene with equipment, and dealing with the replacement of damaged or lost equipment.
- Assist the care team with measuring the effectiveness of the program for each resident.
- Help residents/family members learn how to access their music.
- Serve as liaison with families of residents to educate them about Music & Memory and gain their support.
Recommended Qualities and Skills:
- Compassion for and interest in elders
- Empathetic and patient
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills; thoughtful listener
- Understands iTunes (or comfortable in learning how to use it)
- Loves music