Anyone who has ever gone through the moving process understands how overwhelming it can be. With so many things to remember, it can be a stressful time. It doesn’t need to be. Here is a helpful moving checklist to keep you on track and, hopefully, keep you stress-free.
1. CHANGE OF ADDRESS NOTIFICATIONS
- ☐ Post Office – File your change of address at least 30 days prior to the date of move.
- ☐ Accountant/CPA; Attorney
- ☐ Banks (auto loans, checking accounts, credit cards, home equity, IRA’s, mortgage, safe deposit box, savings account, retirement plans, Broker)
- ☐ Cell phone provider; Internet provider; Newspaper; magazines
- ☐ Doctors
- ☐ Civic organizations; charities; professional organizations; church
- ☐ Department of Motor Vehicles; Internal Revenue Service; Social Security Office; Passport
- ☐ Health Clubs; House Cleaning service
- ☐ Insurance providers (auto, health, life, vehicles)
- ☐ Pharmacy
- ☐ Family members and friends
2. ONE MONTH BEFORE MOVE
- ☐ Select a moving company. Confirm the date, the price and other moving details. Be sure to get all moving costs in writing.
- ☐ Arrange hotel accommodations, car rental, airline reservations or temporary housing, if necessary.
- ☐ Make a list of relatives, friends, and other people who need to know about your move.
- ☐ Contact your bank to order new checks with your new address.
- ☐ Call your utility service companies for your cable, gas, electric, water, and internet, to schedule a disconnection date for your old house and transfer to new address, if necessary.
3. TWO WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- ☐ Contact the moving company and reconfirm your dates.
- ☐ Continue packing. Make sure to label each box and keep an inventory.
- ☐ Make arrangements with a cleaning service to clean your old home, if necessary.
4. ONE WEEK BEFORE MOVE
- ☐ Try to finish packing.
- ☐ Fill any prescriptions or medications, if necessary.
- ☐ Plan meals for the whole week so you can start emptying your refrigerator.
5. THE DAY BEFORE MOVE
- ☐ Pack your overnight case.
- ☐ Check all cabinets, drawers, and closets to make sure you packed everything.
- ☐ Set aside boxes, tape, scissors, markers, etc. for last minute packing.
- ☐ Empty, clean, and defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
6. MOVING DAY
- ☐ Do not make any plans for the day other than your move.
- ☐ Verify the delivery address and directions are correct with your moving company.
- ☐ Carry all valuable items yourself such as important documents, jewelry, etc.
- ☐ Before leaving the house, make sure to check the entire house to be certain you don’t forget anything.
- ☐ If the house will be vacant, contact your insurance agent and the police department so they know the house will be empty.
For a printable version of this moving checklist, click here.
Need help in decluttering before your move? Check out this previous post.